Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling, illustrations by Mary Grandpré

Perhaps you've heard of this book? Yes, I enjoy Harry Potter. The stories are enjoyable and fast-paced, even now as the books become longer and longer. There's a bit of bloating, I don't think anyone would argue that, but then there is more going on as well, and I can't really say that I'd like to see less of Hogwart's and all the rest. On the other hand, I don't think there's any question that the earlier, leaner books are better, and that may be precisely because they left me wanting more. So, I contradict myself. I contain Walt Whitman. So: A Series of Unfortunate Events is better (as is Roald Dahl), but there's no need to dogpile on Harry. Those kids are smarter than anyone gives them credit for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home