Wednesday, August 31, 2005

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion."

The man who made the most uplifting tragedy of the twenty-first century, Richard Kelly, is working on another film. Southland Tales won't be out until at least 2006, but the website is already there. Most of it isn't active yet, but if you've been to the "Donnie Darko" site you know that it was a very odd, game-like experience which existed in dialogue with the film itself. I'm hoping that the "Southland Tales" website will be as good, and that it works as viral marketing for the film, which I also hope will be good. It certainly looks odd enough. (And odd is good.) I'll be watching for updates.

2 Comments:

Blogger Abigail Nussbaum said...

Hopefully, there's someone around Kelly these days to prevent another Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut from happening, although this doesn't give me much hope:

"In addition to the feature film, an expanded version of Southland Tales will be presented as a nine-part interactive experience with the prequel saga to be published as six separate 100 page graphic novels, each written by Kelly. The graphic novels will be released over a six month period early in 2006 leading up to the film's release with the feature film comprised of the story's final three chapters."

(From IMDb's trivia page.)

It occurs to me that Kelly could easily end up as one of those directors whose (superb but flawed) first effort gives them carte blanche in the industry, and who end up using it to make films that are less and less coherent (M. Night Shyamalan is the example that comes to mind, but there are others).

2:08 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Funnily enough, the director's cut was my intro to the film; I missed it the first time around. I quite liked it. I think the original version stands up on its own, but it's an open question whether I would have "gotten" it as well had I not seen the expanded version first.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home