Monday, October 16, 2006

The Biggest News

So, I've checked with all concerned about whether it's OK to go ahead and announce this, and even though I'm afraid that talking about it out loud like this will just make the whole thing evaporate, I can't contain myself anymore.

I sold a book.

Yes. Thanks to the efforts of superagent Shana, Superpowers will be appearing as a trade paperback sometime in or around the Spring of 2008. The deal is with Three Rivers Press, an imprint of Crown, which is a division of Random House. (I think I've got that right.) I'm going to be working with Jason Pinter, who's a writer himself (his debut crime novel will be out next year), and who sounds really excited to be working on the book.

What is the book? Well, here's the description that went out on Publishers Marketplace:

David J. Schwartz's SUPERPOWERS, dubbed "The Incredibles" meets THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY, in which after a night of heavy drinking, five friends wake up to discover they have superhuman abilities, but lacking super-villains they find that the ramifications of their new powers are more complicated than they anticipated, to Jason Pinter at Three Rivers Press, by Shana Cohen at the Stuart Krichevsky Agency (NA).

That's more or less the book, all right, at least the capsule description.

They're paying me, too; and they're paying me well, particularly for a first novel. It's more than I've ever made in a year, in fact aside from a couple of my years bartending it's easily twice what I've made in any given year. (Keep in mind that I've never made a whole lot. Still, this is very nice.) To me this says they believe in the book, that they believe it can be a big seller. I plan to prove them right.

It hasn't really sunk in yet, not completely. But I've been in a transitional stage for a while now, since finishing my Master's, and this will give me some freedom to make the decisions I need to make. And now I can call myself a novelist without feeling like I'm not being entirely honest. Holy shit.

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Congratulations. The book sounds awesome! (Also makes me think of parts of Lethem's Fortress of Solitude).

Very curious about anything you are able to reveal about how you chose the publisher, the marketing approach, etc...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Ben!

Honestly, the stuff you are asking about was all Shana. Maybe I could ask her to give a glimpse into her strategy . . .

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot!!!!! That's fantastic news. Congratulations!!!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, both of you!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrabulations on the impending publication. As an avid reader of your postings and leavings of umbrage, I look forward to spending my precious sacagaweas on an honest to goodness real life paper and binding book that you have authored. This is bright and shining news, and I am glad to have a writer worth reading getting some earthly reward for being so damned interesting.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Dave! If my novels-in- progress were anywhere near publication-ready, I'd be insanely jealous. Instead, I'm just plain happy for you.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Mr. P. :-) I think you'll find the book at least as interesting as my blogging -- at least I hope so!

And thanks, Pete! I appreciate the well-wishes.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Hayden Childs said...

Fantastic, man!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Hayden! We'll have something to celebrate when I see you in Austin, now!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Andy!

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to read the final product!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, M. :-)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Rosalie said...

Holy Moley! This is fantastic news. Congratulations, Dave. This is, undoubtedly, the result of many years of hard work and dedication. Way to go. The book sounds like something I would totally read. Can't wait to pick it up!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

What, years? No, that can't be, because I'm only . . . holy crap, where did the time go?

But yes; this has been a longtime goal, and it's happening in style. Very, very pleased. Thanks!

3:54 PM  
Blogger LA MIGRAINEUSE said...

Most excellent, Knut!

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous news, Knut! And a celebratory beer sometime sounds like a great idea.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

It's a Buffista invasion! Thanks, gang!

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seconding DavidS's request that you hie out to SF for celebratory drinks. And maybe a reading or three, so we can strut around saying "Hey, we know that guy! We knew him when!"

Huge, awestruck, delighted congratulations to you!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Aw, thanks, JZ. And there will definitely be some book-touring, beer-drinking, mini-F2F-ing action. Perhaps even some couch-crashing, depending on budgeting. And hopefully some traveling even before the book comes out, so we'll be seeing each other soon-ish!

And congrats to you on your own recent (joint) endeavour! How is the new baby doing?

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo and hoo!!! Way to go, man! Congrats!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, ChiKat!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Deena! I'm pleased, too :-)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A world of YAY!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Jen!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home