Sunday, May 15, 2005

Thunk

That's the sound of my head hitting the floor after finding out my story "The Lethe Man," which appeared in Say . . . why aren't we crying?, has received an honorable mention for the Speculative Literature Foundation's Fountain Award. The Fountain's only two years old, but it's prestige is all the greater in my eyes because of the wide net it casts over speculative literature. The part that really makes my head spin, though, is seeing the other names who received honorable mentions: M. Rickert, Kelly Link, John Aegard, Katharine Haake, Douglas Lain, Sonya Taaffe, Katherin Nolte, Rebecca Curtis and Liz Williams. I haven't read all of their stories, but the ones I did read have stuck with me, and it's humbling to be placed in their company by judges as distinguished as Matthew Cheney, Gavin Grant, Patricia McKillip, Vandana Singh, and Alison Smith. So I can say with all sincerity that it's an honor to have been considered.

The winner of the 2004 Fountain is Jeffrey Ford, for his story "The Annals of Eelin-Ok," which appeared in The Faery Reel. I haven't read it yet, but I'll have to track down a copy now.

EDITED because in my stupor I neglected to publicly thank Gwenda Bond and Christopher Rowe for publishing the story. They're doing good work over there at the Fortress of Words, and if you haven't already you need to check it out.

12 Comments:

Blogger Gwenda said...

Dave, it's well-deserved. We're so proud to have published that story.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heady company! Bravo.

- Hannah

6:53 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Gwenda, thanks so much for publishing it. When I found out my first thought was "I need to thank Chris and Gwenda in my blog," but I was so flustered I forgot. I've amended that now.

Hannah: squeeee!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Gwenda said...

Oh hush. It was our pleasure.

(grin)

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. Great to be honorably mentioned. Great zine in which it appeared. Great, great, great!

Congrats, David!

-Barth

PS. Wiscon?

9:00 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks, Barth! And yes, I'll be at WisCon; I haven't posted my schedule yet, but I'll do that this week. See you there!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Hannah: squeeee!

I think we're going to need an in-person demonstration of that at Ye Olde Wiscon.

- H

10:38 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Yay, Dave! That's excellent and so deserved. I still love that story months and months after first reading it.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hannah said:

>I think we're going to need an in-person demonstration of that at Ye Olde Wiscon.

That will never happen. I only squeeee virtually.

Chris:

Thanks! And congrats on the Twenty Epics sale; I'll be seeing you in the TOC! It's shaping up to be a great collection.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

There will be no squeeing until I come back from Japan, dammit!

*makes the-no-one-has-fun-while-I'm-gone-face*

(And I'm excited about the Epics antho, too, it looks really cools from what I hear so far)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

You should come back for World Fantasy, Chris! There will be much fun-having there. Er, but only if you show up, of course.

10:20 AM  
Blogger elad said...

Congrats for the mention, Dave. I echo everyone else in saying, "Very well deserved!" When I picked up that issue of Say.. at last year's Wiscon, I sat down in the room and decided to read a couple stories. "The Lethe Man" was so conveniently placed as the first story and I'm very glad I didn't pass it or miss it.

We'll give you an offical toast at one of this year's Wiscon shindigs.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home