Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I'm Glad I Got My Suit Dry-Cleaned Before the Riot Started

Randomness. Also, am working on answering emails. Wish me luck, as I am far behind.

I can always use a little dating advice. Bill Plympton's is particularly interesting. Also on YouTube, the Ramones cover Tom Waits, and Evil Monkey drinks beer.

OK, regarding this "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" film--am I the only one getting a creepy misogynist vibe from the previews? As in, women can't control their emotions, and powerful women can't control their emotions in really dangerous ways? (See also: Jean Grey, "X-Men 3.") I swear it's not just my Uma-hate. (Or is it? The Uma-hate is strong in this one, it's true.)

At some point this week I will do a reading post, but just for the record my most recently abandoned book was this edition of Lewis and Clark's journals. Possibly it was just bad timing and I'm sure it gets better at some point, but after 50 pages of rain, resupply, record mileage, repeat, I had to put it down.

Still looking for a job. Anyone got one lying around?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Mostly, I just got a "stupid movie" vibe from the preview that I saw (which covers a lot of sins). Although I, too, have never understood the appeal of Uma.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

It does, indeed, look like a stupid movie. I guess my thinking is that it could have been a stupid-fun movie; the idea has that potential. But to all appearances it seems like they've opted to go the "chicks are so psycho" route rather than actually riffing off of how someone can be vulnerable emotionally while being physically unbreakable.

"Unbreakable." There's a superhero movie worth seeing again . . .

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it has Rainn Wilson! It can't be all bad.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

True, Gwenda, but that's about all it's got going as far as I can see. Sometimes Luke Wilson's deadpan persona works--for Wes Anderson movies it does--but more often he comes across as disengaged, at least to me. In "Old School," a film which I otherwise loved, his storyline was tortuous.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Kameron Hurley said...

Yea, you're not the only one getting the misogynist vibe from that one... I thought the concept might be good and then... ah, the previews, the previews.

I was actually kinda offended.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home