Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I'm Not Going to Use the Word Slut This Time

They do want me tomorrow--G through S inclusive, is it too late to change my name to Underhill? Naw, actually I've never done anything of the sort so I'm curious to see the inner workings of justice. Oops, I mean law. Don't know how anyone could confuse the two . . . I will be bringing several books, and the SS Story, and the rewrite, and maybe a pillow. Anyway, I won't be around all day tomorrow, and I know you're all dying to hear how the reading went, so I'm posting this tonight.

Tip for travelers; it's not a long ride from home to Hopleaf, but when the wind is against you there is a fair chance of arriving sweaty. Be sure to order water with your Belgian ale (Delirium Tremens, this time; there's an elephant on the bottle).

Good crowd; standing room only, in fact. I'd estimate there were fifty or more. Jessa Crispin seemed very nice. She was polite, at least. (The sum total of our conversation was her saying "Excuse me." But not in a snotty way.) I sat with a fellow named Nick, and a couple, Neil and Susie, whom I've seen at WisCon but never met. We chatted a bit before the reading started. I also bought Mothers and Other Monsters from the nice woman from Women & Children First, and introduced myself to Maureen--we've seen each other but never properly met. I gave her David's message (she said later that the blog was to document her illness, and since she's no longer sick it's served it's purpose. But she said she would update anyway) and she signed my book.

Charles Blackstone read first, from his novel The Week You Weren't Here. Maureen read most of "Ancester Money," which I love even more now that I've heard her read it. There are two ways to read well, I think (at least, this is what I think tonight); one is to perform the work, and the other is to just read it like you would tell a story to a child. Not in a condescending way, but in the way that gives you to understand that this story is important, just as all stories are, and if you listen well you will be glad you did. Maureen read "Ancestor Money" in the latter way, and she was a big hit; at the end of the reading most of her books were gone, and hers was the most expensive of the three. Jennifer read the first and thirteenth chapters of Trash Sex Magic and a bit of the opening of The Brass Bed, part of an erotic romance duology she just sold to Del Rey. Jennifer is more of a performer than Maureen is, and this was perfect for the bawdy and comedic bits she chose to read. All in all, a great showing for the Small Beer authors.

Afterwards, a little more chatting with Maureen and Bob, a ride home in the cool air, the lights of downtown coming up as I crossed the Damen Avenue bridge, a quick stop for food and now home. Sleep now; maybe tomorrow night I'll post some book reports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home