Thursday, September 15, 2005

In Which I Blame My Fatigue on a Gray-Headed* Stranger

Yesterday afternoon my sources informed me that a free performance was going to take place at Millenium Park's Pritzker Pavilion, a benefit for the Chicago after school teen program run by Maggie Daley, who is married to the mayor. And said performance was to be by none other than Willie Nelson. So, that's where I went last night.

Now, Pritzker is an outdoor venue, with a block of seats up front and a lawn behind. The suits and skirts paid $1000 a head for the show and the banquet preceding, and most of them left before ol' Willie even got rolling. That left the rest of us rabble to move up into the good seats (although Marianne and I hung back and watched from our blanket on the grass) to enjoy the show. Honestly, the place was near empty, since the show wasn't publicized at all. Probably they wanted to keep us rabble out of there. Good show, though, and I'm glad I had the chance to see Willie play (although I really wish he'd done "Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain"). In the past year or so I've been able to see three legends--Willie, Loretta Lynn, and George Jones. I hope they'll be touring for a long time yet, but you never know. Got to take your opportunities when they come.

*That really only works for "Red," doesn't it? You don't hear anyone referring to "Blondeheads" or "Brownheads," and "Blackheads" is something quite different.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not publicized at all is right. I work across the street from there and knew nothing about it. I wondered why they were putting up the barricades on Columbus.

Not a big Willie fan, but I couldn't have made it anyhow.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Columbus is being blocked off because this weekend is Celtic Fest. (When did they start Celtic fest?) I'll be in New York, so I'll miss Celtic Fest too.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I haven't seen Hank III, no, but I definitely will if I get the chance. I haven't heard much of his stuff, but I've heard him cover his grandpa's stuff and he sounded good.

Scott, I just saw that yesterday, about Celtic Fest. I'm going to try to head down there this weekend, too.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home