Thursday, January 19, 2006

Your Life Is Science Fiction; In a Flash, You'll Be Gone

I got tagged, in secret. (EDIT: I actually got tagged twice, the second time by Elad, below. Blame Credit where it's due and all that.)

The first player of this game starts with the topic "five weird habits" and people who get tagged need to write an entry about their five weird habits as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose the next five people to be tagged and link to their web journals. Don't forget to leave a comment in their blog or journal that says "You have been tagged" (assuming they take comments) and tell them to read yours.

1. I don't like coffee. I don't even like the smell of coffee. Personally, I don't think this is weird. I think the rest of you are insane.

2. When I'm alone in the car I talk to myself. Sometimes I talk to my characters. Yeah, um. Back when I was writing my first novel, I had a lot of characters that I really had to get into the heads of, so I would interview them as I drove to and from work. Hey, you asked for weird.

3. I'm a bit OCD with numbers. (I mentioned this while doing the fifteen things about books post.) Yes, I count lines of text. I also sometimes count my paces, time stoplights, and run sequences in my head. (The story I sold to Spicy Slipstream Stories is based on an odd sequence I used to run in junior high.) And yet, I hate doing math! Ha ha ha WHAT are you laughing at?!?

4. I talk back to the TV. (This one is regardless of whether I am alone or not.) This is particularly bad when politicians are on. "You're such a fucking liar!" is a favorite phrase for this occasion. (This is why I cannot watch speeches, because I am constantly interrupting and THEY DON'T LISTEN ANYWAY!) I also do this during shows. "You are a bad actor." "Are you stupid?!? Don't do that!" "Whoa. That was cool." "What purpose did that scene serve?" In fact, upon reflection I do this much more when I am watching with someone. When alone I rarely speak to the people on the TV.

5. On unstructured days I constantly forget to eat. On Saturdays, when I write at my favorite joint (no, I do not drink the coffee), I will often have a bagel with lox upon arrival, then sit and work on stuff for six hours or so until a vague feeling of discomfort hits me. Hm. Maybe I need to use the restroom. No . . . I should have worked out this morning. That's not it. Jesus, am I getting sick? The hospital's just a block away, maybe I should--wait a minute, I know this feeling. I've felt this way before. I . . . need . . . food! (Ding ding ding ding ding) I used to do this when I was a kid, too. I'd wake up and start reading or cleaning my room or something, and at about three I'd realize I hadn't eaten all day. Remember, folks, listen to your body.

I'm supposed to tag some people, but I'm not going to because I'm WEIRD. (EDIT: OK, I tag Meghan, because she begged for it. If anyone else feels the need to confess, be my guest.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like that kid who's been frozen in freeze tag and is just straining to run around again, but everyone keeps passing me by! No one tags me! PLEASE DAVE, JUST TAG ME, I'M WEIRD TOO!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

OK, you're tagged!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Erin Gratz said...

I always knew that there was something weird about you...I just didn't realize that it was you hate the smell of coffee! How can that be? No wonder our coffee and tea war was never resolved.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Erin - I think I told you about that, didn't I? And the reason that our coffee and tea war was never resolved, of course, was that I pushed my armies on into your territory just before the rainy season. I should have stopped at Smolensk.

(Sorry. Too much War and Peace, I guess.)

Trent, that's exactly it! It's still amazing to me, and it makes me wonder; how do other people experience hunger?

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home