Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"Form three lines. You're in the wrong line, buddy."

It was a beautiful morning, and now it's raining like mad. Ah well. The snow will be here tomorrow, I guess. And after that, the snowmen. Those creepy interlopers, loitering on lawns with their mocking grins . . . I swear, come February I'm going to buy a flamethrower and melt the bastards down.

Speaking of violence, yesterday morning at the place where I get my tea and sometimes my breakfast two guys nearly started a fistfight. At 7:30 in the morning. I mean, seriously. That's way too early to be throwing punches. Wait until after lunch, at least.

Things you may not have seen:

Mr. Dan Kelly has the awful truth about Hell. Also, I think he wants me to kill a barber.

Speaking of killing things . . . There was a time when I would have liked a patron, in the Renaissance sense. My skin is crawling away. (Via everybody.)

Hm, perfect murder? I suspect everyone in Veronica's Criminology class. Piz may be cuddly but maybe a scary boyfriend is better sometimes? (This paragraph has been encoded.)

HBO is making Preacher into a TV series. Considering how bad it was in comics form, I don't expect that this will help them regain any credibility.

Pitchfork interviews Tom Waits. In case you haven't figgered it out, he's got a new album out--technically, a new boxed set. You know you want it.

While you're buying stuff, I would like to note that the first season of "St. Elsewhere" is now out on DVD. If you've seen the show, you know you want this; if you haven't, you need to. It's got Denzel before he was famous! Ed Begley Jr. before he was old! William Daniels before he was on "Boy Meets World"! Howie Mandel before he was annoying! OK, scratch that last one, because it's possible that Howie Mandel was even MORE annoying back in the day. Anyway, I remember this show as strange, funny, startling, and engrossing. I can't wait to see how it holds up.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, don't be a Preacher hater. I love that comic. I can point out its (fairly serious) flaws just like anybody else, but when it worked, it was a ton of wildly melodramatic fun. You just gotta get into the right spirit, and be willing to forgive a Texan who sometimes talks like a British guy, and the logical inconsistencies, and the tasteless humor, and the way all the women look basically the same... sigh. I understand why people hate on this comic, I do, but I reserve a soft and squishy place in my heart for it.

The TV version will surely suck, though.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I think you just made my argument for me, Tim :-)

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand why people hate on this comic, I do

I don't!

(though the TV version will surely suck...)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

I liked Preacher. Admittedly the series was slow at times and over the top at others, but the premise was cool, and I was surprised at how engaged I became with the personal drama of the three protagonists: it was wonderfully tragic.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home