Friday, April 08, 2005

We're Gonna Win, Twins! We're Gonna Score!

Cheezy, I know. But I know every word to the fight song. (Not that it's obscure or anything--you hear it once, you've pretty much got it.) Hell, I know the words to a lot of the radio promos. My fave is the one from three years ago where they claimed that Doug Mientkiewicz had been the subject of a Schoolhouse Rock jingle. ("That's Doug Mientkiewicz, I said M-I-E-N-T-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z.") It was really catchy. Too bad Dougie got traded, but seeing as how he got a World Series ring and a multi-million dollar baseball out of the deal, I can't imagine that he's still bitter.

I'm watching the home opener here in Chicago, which stinks because I like to go to the Home Opener. Not to mention that the White Sox announcers are really damned annoying. Also that the Twins are currently behind.

I started getting excited about the season a few days ago, and I discovered the craziest damned thing. There are sports blogs. Many of them devoted to the Twins; among them is the hilariously affectionate Batgirl, maintained by novelist Anne Ursu and her husband, sister, and brother-in-law. (All together, now: Awwwwww.) I've not read Ursu's books, but I should, because this is great blogging. There are lots more Twins blogs, but I haven't found any as good as this one yet.

Now, back to the game. Torii, stop swinging at those inside pitches!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Batgirl's blog. Twins are a fun team - I hope they can get over the hump this year. They've got two stud pitchers, an excellent closer (and ex-Giant prospect) and tight defense.

A's are more of a project this year, but still fun.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

The cringe-worthy thing about the Twins right now is the shaky infield. We're supposed to be the premier defensive team in the league, dammit. It's even worse with Morneau out; LeCroy is like a moose with a glove. I miss Mientkiewicz. He's going to start hitting again one of these seasons . . .

AL West seems to be pretty well even right now; who are you picking?

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home