Getting This Out of the Way
Besides, I was meaning to do an all-time ten.
1) The number of books I've owned?
I honestly don't think I can count that high. Not without doing a lot more work than I care to.
2) The last book(s) I bought?
Coming of Age With Elephants by Joyce Poole (excellent, BTW); The Astonishing Elephant by Shana Alexander (also good, although I've got a ways to read yet); The Fate of the Elephant by Douglas H. Chadwick; and Silent Thunder: In the Presence of Elephants by Katy Payne. (I'm doing research, can you tell?)
3) The last book I read?
Really, it's the Poole book mentioned above; but before that it was Black Juice. Which, wow.
4) Five books that mean a lot to me: (in no particular order)
Screw five. Here's
1. One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
2. Mama Day, Gloria Naylor
3. Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
4. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
5. Slow River, Nicola Griffith
6. Hopscotch, Julio Cortazar
7. Seven Gothic Tales, Isak Dinesen
8. Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life, Jon Lee Anderson
9. Black Glass, Karen Joy Fowler
10. Beloved, Toni Morrison
11. The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
12. Collected Fictions, Jorge Luis Borges
13. Her Smoke Rose Up Forever, James Tiptree Jr.
14. The Poetic Edda, A Bunch of Dead Skalds
15. On Stranger Tides, Tim Powers
16. Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands, Jorge Amado
17. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
18. The Odyssey, Homer
19. Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy, Mircea Eliade
20. Invisible Cities, Italo Calvino