Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Roundup

You'll all be happy to know I'm less cranky today.

Reasons:

1. Melina Marchetta's Looking for Alibrandi is almost as good as her other YA book, BCCB-award winning Saving Francesca.

2. Similarly, Joan Bauer's Best Foot Forward is a worthy sequel to the shoe sales screwball comedy of Rules of the Road.

3. Season 4 Oz! (Although I have to say, between this and Season 3 Six Feet Under, I've seen more than enough penises for the rest of my life.)

4. Marianne always comes through with cool new music, and this weekend was no exception. Sunday afternoon we went to the Empty Bottle to catch The Wilders. Marianne had seen them live at MerleFest and brought home a CD, which rocked but not nearly as much as the quartet in person. A genuine one-mike country outfit, with bass, fiddle, guitar, mandolin/banjo and serious barn-burning energy--they had the sparse crowd of thirty or so hooting and hollering like three hundred. Three Hank covers, one Jimmie Rodgers, and one Devo. They're touring non-stop (Cambridge, Mass is one of their upcoming destinations), so go see 'em. Yee-haw!

5. Also via Marianne, bluesy country guy Hayes Carll. I've been listening to his album "Flowers and Liquor" and loving it, particularly "Naked Checkers" and "Live Free or Die."

6. New desktop computer means I can play all those computer games that my laptop graphics card wouldn't run, which means I'm staying up too late and my mouse hand is sore, but I am having fun killing all the monsters and saving the world.

7. That doesn't mean I'm not getting anything done; stage two of the three-part revision process on Superpowers is done, with little pain involved. My big concern was a subplot that had gotten dropped a short way in; as it turned out, I decided that it was better for that subplot to just go away. Some chapters required sizeable rewriting, but the majority just needed line editing. Now I just need to go through and make sure that the characters that went away don't get mentioned anywhere, and look over some tonal things, and add in one scene that needs to happen somewhere or other. Soon I may be looking for beta readers (hint, hint).

8. Collaborations! You know who you are. This is fun.

9. As of the moment the contract I sent out this weekend reaches her desk, I am now represented by Shana Cohen of the Stuart Krichevsky Literary Agency. I'm very excited about this; Shana is hugely enthusiastic and had me sold on all of her past projects just chatting about them over dinner at WisCon, so I'm happy to have her powers on the side of good. That being my side, of course.

10. All of this kind of boils down to; I should know by now that reading or talking about creating art, especially when it's prescriptive, eventually drives me batty no matter who's talking about it. I'm much happier enjoying other people's creations or working on my own, so I just need to remind myself not to read or listen to such things.

Have a good day, everyone! (See how cheery I am? Isn't it nauseating?)

7 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Congrats on getting a good agent! And on being almost finished with a novel revision. (It is a novel, right? I hadn't heard you talk of it before if so...) I would offer to beta read it, and would be more than happy to, and would like to, but I couldn't guarantee a timely response as I'm up to my neck in several projects here (my second book, working at the school, working part time for a Japanese publishing company, writing an afterward for a friend's collection of short stories, and my mom is coming in two weeks for a visit...I just may scream).

But I do want to read your book!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Don't scream!

Yeah, Superpowers is my third novel ms. It's been patiently awaiting revision for two years now, and now that Shana has the other two I felt motivated to clean it up and get it out to her.

Don't worry about not being able to beta read; sounds like you're crazy busy! Hopefully the birthday packages you should be receiving will alleviate the madness a bit . . .

9:08 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

I just got your package a little bit ago! Scream Scream Scream! You can't stop me in cyberspace! Yay! Thanks so much. I've been dying to read this for months now. I hate being cut off from my supply of whatever book I want whenver I want it in the English language.

Seriously, thanks a lot. It means a lot to me.

And good luck with those books. Wow! Three books. You are smoking.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Woot! ;-) Glad you got it. That's a damned good book.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*curses* I hate when people talk about damn good books and never give the title.

PamM

2:37 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hee! You already read it, Pammy. It's Black Juice.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!

It is that very good.

PamM

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home