Thursday, October 26, 2006

IM IN UR MUG . . . STEEPIN UR TEA

Check out Merylinabarrel's Jack-O-Lantern. It passes the Turing Test. At least, A Turing Test.

Austen update: gave up on Mansfield Park, moved on to Emma. Emma herself isn't all that likeable, but she's at least amusing. Fanny was too passive and impressionable. Edmund was a pompous twit.

Also reading about elephants again--this time, Cynthia Moss's Elephant Memories--and thinking about the elephant novel. The reason I got stuck on it at first, I think, was that I got all these story ideas before I really knew anything about the animals. Now I've absorbed enough information and gotten enough distance from my original idea for the parts to start to rearrange to reflect fact, or at least possibility. Still want an arcology in there. Think I've got that figured out.

I keep forgetting to mention that one of my fave under-published authors, Eleanor Arnason, has a blog. She's also posting at a group blog started by her writer's group, the Wyrdsmiths. I particularly liked her post on her least favorite truism, "Show Don't Tell."

Moon Knight? Really? I'm so not clamoring for that one.

Finally, in case this post isn't random enough, have some classic A Tribe Called Quest. "Damn, Tip, what'd you drive so far for?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've read WHEN ELEPHANTS WEEP, haven't you?

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have TOLD you about Mansfield Park!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I have not read WEW, actually. But what I have read has me convinced that elephants are deeply emotional creatures.

I sort of knew about Mansfield Park, Mystery Guest. But I thought I'd give it a shot. Bleah.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home